My Granada province guide including tips for the city of Granada too.
With 12,635 km2 to explore and 168 different towns and municipalities there is a lot to choose from. Below you have access to information on the different areas in Granada province. (It´s like a directory of my blog) I hope you find it useful to plan your trip to the region.
When is the best time to visit?
Complete Guide to Granada + its province
See this perpetual calendar with Granada activities by month, festivals and fiestas.
Thinking of moving to Granada? See my Frequently asked questions before a move to Granada Spain
- The basics to arrive and get tickets to the Alhambra palace. Click here for Alhambra tips + tickets.
- Fifty Things to Do & See in Granada
- Some tips here of Free things to do in the city of Granada
- A post looking into a mysterious building beneath the Alhambra palace
- Read more about the Plaza Nueva Square & Pilar del Toro right in the centre of Granada
- Find out about the Realejo – Granada´s Jewish quarter here or Read about the square named after Joe Strummer in 2013 in Realejo
- Local poet Angel Ganivet and heroine Mariana Pineda are featured here
- Pomegranates are everywhere in Granada. Read about this symbol here
- Find out about street names icons on the Granada signs
Albaicin quarter of Granada
- Talk a walk around the Albaicin with this route
- Read more about typical Carmen homes in Albaicin Granada
- The best view in town. Find out more
- Read about Princess Morayma and some history in the Albaicin
- Images of the stunning Alhambra palace in my photo essay.
The top of the province has places such as Calahorra, Guadix & the Marquesado area, which I have visited. I had a great 4×4 experience in the Marquesado area. There are also lots of prehistoric monoliths to see around this region.
UNESCO has incorporated the Geopark of Granada in 2021. This area has a unique geology and has incredible fossil remains of extinct large mammals. Roaming this region in the Quaternary Period. This was 2.5 million years ago, close to when humanity arrived on earth. Expect to see monoliths, epic canyons and cave houses in this part of Granada province.
I also have on to my to do list the towns of Castril, Orce and Galera. Known for outdoor activities, nature and cave accommodation.
See this link for more Andalusian Caves
The unspolit Alpujarra villages. Read about these remote places here This area was once the Silk Route of Europe. Read the full history here
Above Pampaneira there is even a buddist retreat located here for it´s peaceful location. I also had a trip around the Granada province in 2012, you can see my write up here.
Discover the beautiful Valley of Lecrin full of orange and lemon trees or find a luxury way to see Granada province
Granada´s beaches and coastline are called the Tropical Coast. Main towns are Almuñécar, Salboreña and Motril.
Find out about traditions in Lovely Loja
Films made around Granada province over the years
- If you want to buy souvenirs in and around Granada province here are some original ideas for you.
- As I discover other areas of the province (I still haven´t quite seen it all yet) I will keep adding to this list and update as I go.